Portville Hall of Fame
Ron Moore was born in Olean on July 29, 1949 to Henry and Eva Moore.
He graduated from Olean High School, class of 1968.
He entered the US Navy from 1969 -1973 where he achieved the rank of
Radioman E5. He served aboard the USS Forrestal. Returning to the
United States in 1973, he went to work for Cooper Industries for 29 years,
and upon retirement, he then worked at Mallory’s Auto body for another 10
He was first married to Bernie until her passing in 1999. He married his
wife, Mary Crawford, in 2001. Ron is the father of Rhonda, Class of
1998. He has two step-children, Christine and Becky, and he is grandfather
to seven children.
Ron’s service to the community of Portville is extensive:
• He coached Little League baseball for 13 years.
• He taught Sunday School for 20 years at the Methodist Church of
• Donated hundreds of hours to the Community-school wooden
• Coached five years of Winter Youth Soccer.
• Served as Post Commander of Portville American Legion FIVE times.
• Currently, Chaplain of the Cattaraugus County American Legion.
• He is currently the director of the Cattaraugus County Veterans Van
Service with over 1000 hours logged.
• He has organized the Portville Memorial Day parade for the past 20
• He served two years as Treasurer of the Portville Music Boosters
• He is currently the Chair of the Boys State Selection Committee and
has been for the past 24 years.
• And he still finds time to work the kitchen for both Church and
(As presented by Gary Swetland for the Hall of Fame at the Alumni
Banquet in 2014)
|The Portville Historical and Preservation Society
|17 Maple Avenue
Portville, NY 14770
Portville, New York
PCS Hall of Fame ~ Class of 2014