Portville Hall of Fame
Leo Schott was born in Olean, N.Y. on August 1, 1927, the son of Walter and
Olive Buckles Schott. He attended grade school in Westons Mills, and middle
and high school in Olean, graduating with the class of 1945. He joined the
Westons Mills Kinney Hose Company on August 1st, 1945, his 18th birthday!
Leo joined the US Army in the fall of 1945 serving in 1945 and 1946. Upon
his honorable discharge from the US Army, he returned home to the Olean area
and began a long career of service to the Westons Mills and Portville
Ruth Marie Gibson Schott was born in Bradford, Pa. on May 25, 1931, the
daughter of Norman and Hazel Gibson. She graduated from Bradford Area
High school with the class of 1949. Ruth attended Grove City College and
graduated in 1951 with a two-year Business Degree. She went to work
immediately in the main office at Bradford Area High school.
Ruth’s parents owned the Block Barn Stable in Cuba, NY, so she was an avid
equestrian and spent considerable time successfully showing horses. In 1951,
the Westons Mills Fire Dept. hosted a horse show in Cuba. Leo the fireman
met Ruth the girl showing horses at the family stable and within a year, they
were married - January 19th, 1952, in Bradford. Ruth and Leo’s family
included three children, Jim, Marcia and Michael, all of whom graduated from
Portville Central School.
Leo went to work at Line Material in 1953 as an entry level laborer and worked
there 39 years, retiring as Production Supervisor in 1992. In that time, he and
Ruth managed to find time to dedicate to their community and school.
Some of their many contributions:
• Leo served 16 years on the PCS Board of Education. In that time, he
served as both President and V.P.
• He served as Asst. Coach for Portville Midget Football beginning in 1966.
• Ruth served the Bradford Chapter of the Eastern Star for many years
and the Westons Mills Fire Dept. Ladies Auxilliary for many years as well.
• Together they were charter members of Portville Sports Boosters; Leo
served 5 years as President.
• He was also an IAABO Basketball Official, and a Youth, JV, and Varsity
• They were charter members of the Portville Music Boosters.
• Ruth served on our Board of Elections.
• Together, they were Instrumental in starting the PCS Marching Band and
traveled with the band to their parades and events; They were very active in
our Drama Club for many years.
• Leo is a past President of the Catt. Co. School Boards Association.
• Leo was an active member of the Kinney Hose Co. of Westons Mills for
• Leo also served on the Town Planning & Zoning Board and the former
“It’s your Heart” club of Olean.
(As presented by Gary Swetland for Hall of Fame at the Alumni Banquet,
|The Portville Historical and Preservation Society
|17 Maple Avenue
Portville, NY 14770
Portville, New York
|Leo and Ruth Schott